This beef strip bolognese is a delicious variation to the standard ground beef version. I decided to use beef strips as it was requested by Mr 8. He wanted spaghetti with beef strips we had used before. Mr 8 likes to cook in the kitchen with me to make dinner. His specialty is stir fry. He loves tasting each stage and I love teaching him how flavours change the meal. We talk alot about the addition of vegetables and how you can hardly taste any flavour once added into a meal. I have found doing this has really helped him to expand his food choices.
For this dish I have used the basis of my favourite bolognese recipe but used beef strips.
500gm Beef Strips
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
2 Tbs Minced Garlic
1 Carrot, peeled and diced
1 Zucchini, peeled and diced
420gm Condensed Tomato Soup
Soup can filled with water and 1 Tbs Chicken Stock powder
2 Tbs Fresh Herbs – Oregano, parsley, garlic chives (use 1 Tbs Dried)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
LET’S PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Place a heavy based pot on a medium high heat stove. Add the oil, onion and garlic and cook until the onion softens.
2. Add the beef strips and cook until just browned.
3. Add the carrot and zucchini and stir through. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Pour in the tomato soup and then fill the can with water and the stock powder and pour into the pan. Stir through.
5. Add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Stir through. Reduce to a low heat and allow to simmer with the lid off for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Cooking it long and slow will allow the sauce to thicken and the beef to soften.
6. Cook spiral pasta (or any pasta you like) and add to the dish, stir through.
Serve with parmesan cheese.
Great for leftovers: store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer friendly: place into a freezer safe container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the microwave.
(Visited 3,514 times, 27 visits today)